The Power of Positive Thinking
‘Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining’ is a very famous proverb. You must have seen when dark clouds cover the sky for a moment the sun is not visible. If we look closely at a dark cloud, we can see the sunrays brightening up its edges like shining silver. Something very similar happens in our life as well.
The clouds are bad times in an individual’s life and the ‘silver lining’ refers to good times, happy moments, or solution of a problem.
We must ask ourselves, why is it important to see this silver lining?
For me, the answer is, because I want to feel good all the time. It is a choice that I make. I am my best friend and I want to feel happy, why would I let the dark clouds hover my life and bring me down? I would rather look at the silver lining and be hopeful of a brighter day.
What is Positive thinking?
Positive thinking is an attitude that focuses on the bright side of life and expects positive result.
Now, Positive thinking does not necessarily mean avoiding or ignoring the bad things; we do not always have control over all the situations. However, making the most of the potentially bad situations, trying to see the best in other people, and viewing yourself and your abilities in a positive light is something each of us can do.
Does Positive thinking work?
Some consider it as nonsense, and scoff at people who believe in it.
The question I’d ask these people is, what do you have to lose by being positive? The answer is Nothing, when you feel positively about something, chances are that things will work out for you because you are giving it your best.
The benefits of Positive thinking are many, such as:
- It has a good effect on your health as it makes you confident and happy by eliminating the anxiety.
- This attitude makes you more friendly and considerate while making you likeable and improving your relationship with people.
- You will be more aware of opportunities that can improve your life.
- It fills you with motivation and you motivate the people around you, thus improving the quality of life.
Henry Ford said, “If you think you can do a thing or think you can’t do a thing, you are right.” It means that everything you do or don’t is in your attitude.
A negative mindset will only stand in the way of you reaching your goals. So, if you want to turn your dreams into a reality, you need to change your attitude.
What is positive thinking in business?
It means having an attitude of expecting success, visualizing success, believing in oneself and in one’s abilities. Do not consider failure as an option, do everything within your reach to achieve you goal. With this attitude, you have the courage to dream big, you have a greater vision, and dare to make plans and grow your business.
Here are a few tips to help develop positive thinking:
- Find positive friends, mentors and co-workers: As the saying goes “tell me who your friend is and I will tell who you are”, similarly, your friends and the people you surround yourself with influence your thinking to a large extent.
- Be mindful of the negative thoughts: While it is true that not all thoughts that we have are in our control, but when we are conscious that we are headed on a negative train of thought, it is important to change that thought.
- Tickle your funny bone: Seek humor in everyday happenings. Nothing is as bad as it seems. People who show a better sense of humour are more optimistic, confident about their abilities and reported a higher well-being or happiness. So, chuckle away!
- Practice gratitude: Gratitude is the best attitude. Every day won’t be perfect, but focusing on what we are grateful for, tends to wash away feelings of anger and negativity. So, instead of focusing on the things that have gone wrong in the past, jot down the things that have gone right and be grateful for them, this will bring better things your way.